With ever-changing TSA rules and regulations, packing appropriately can prove a bit daunting. Especially when it comes to personal care items. And one common question that often arises: Can you bring a curling iron on a plane?
Staying informed about what's allowed in your carry-on or checked baggage is essential for a smooth and stress-free travel experience. So in this guide, I'll explore the latest TSA rules for curling irons and provide you with the travel tips you need to ensure your hairstyling companion accompanies you on board without a hitch.
So get ready to discover the dos and don'ts of traveling with your curling iron so you can step off the plane with fabulous hair wherever you go!
Skip to Section:
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: The Short Answer
The quick answer is yes! The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) permits curling irons in both carry-on luggage and checked baggage. Although corded and cordless curling irons are both allowed, packing restrictions around cordless styling tools containing butane or gas cartridges apply.
There are no restrictions on the number of corded curling irons allowed as long as your luggage adheres to size and weight limitations. However, only one cordless curling iron per passenger is permitted.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: TSA Curling Iron Rules Explained
Navigating the rules and regulations for air travel can be a bit overwhelming, especially when it comes to packing personal care items like curling irons. But fear not! I'm here to break down the TSA's guidelines and help make your travel prep a breeze.
When it comes to bringing a curling iron on an airplane, the TSA website states:
“Electric curling irons and hair straighteners with cords are not restricted. However, cordless curling irons that contain lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries or are gas or butane-fueled are only allowed in carry-on bags. A safety cover must be securely fitted over the heating element and the device must be protected from accidental activation. Gas refills (spare cartridges) are not allowed in either checked or carry-on bags."
By adhering to TSA rules and taking a few precautions, you can confidently travel with your curling iron and keep your bouncy curls looking fabulous on your journey!
Can you take an electric curling iron on a plane?
Yes, you can take electric corded curling irons on a plane. According to the TSA, you may pack electric, corded hair appliances such as electric hair rollers, electric hair straighteners or flat irons, electric hot rollers, and electric curling irons in both your checked baggage as well as your carry-on.
Can you take a butane curling iron on an airplane?
Unlike regular electric curling irons, butane curling irons rely on a flammable fuel source and run the risk of catching on fire. Therefore, the TSA prohibits passengers from packing hairstyling tools such as a butane curling iron or butane hair straightener in their checked baggage. You can, however, pack them in your carry-on baggage.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron Through Airport Security?
If you're wondering whether your trusty curling iron can accompany you through airport security, the answer is a resounding "Yes!" However, it's necessary to be aware of a few key points to ensure a seamless experience at the security checkpoint.
- CARRY-ON SCREENING: When packing your curling iron in your carry-on luggage, place it in an easily accessible spot. Because the TSA considers a curling iron an electrical appliance, you may be required to remove it from your bag for a separate screening. Although I've never personally been asked by a TSA agent to do this, the final decision lies with the TSA officers in charge. Therefore, easy access will help expedite the screening process and avoid any potential hold-ups at your security checkpoint.
- HEAT-RESISTANT POUCH: For added safety, consider using a heat-resistant pouch, especially if you pack your curling iron while it's still warm from use. Not only will this protect other items in your bag, but it will also ensure that TSA officers can handle it safely during inspection.
- SAFETY COVER: If packing a butane-powered curling iron, you must also pack a safety cover. This is a plastic or metal cover that fits over the heating element to prevent accidental activation. Remember, cordless models of curling irons that use lithium batteries or butane are only allowed in your carry on. Make sure not to pack this type of curling iron or any spare gas cartridges in your checked luggage or they will get confiscated!
- WATTAGE CONSIDERATIONS: Some airlines have specific restrictions on the allowed wattage of electrical items, including curling irons and hair curlers. Make sure to check your curling iron's wattage and ensure it complies with the airline's regulations to avoid any surprises at the airport.
By following these tips and adhering to the TSA's special instructions, you can breeze through airport security with your curling iron in tow.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane in a Carry On?
Good news! You can pack your curling iron in your carry-on luggage. The TSA considers curling irons as personal items and allows them on board your aircraft.
Just remember that if you're packing a butane-powered curling iron or one that uses lithium ion batteries, you must also pack a safety cover to prevent accidental activation.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane in Checked Luggage?
If you prefer to stow your curling iron in your checked baggage, that's perfectly fine too. Just make sure it has cooled down before packing and consider using a heat-resistant case for added protection.
But don't forget that cordless straighteners, curling irons, and other styling tools that call for lithium batteries, butane, or gas cannot be packed in your checked luggage. You must pack these items as well as any additional fuel cartridges in your hand luggage.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: Domestic Flight
When it comes to traveling domestically, hairstyling enthusiasts will be happy to know that you can bring your curling iron with you! The TSA permits curling irons in both carry-on luggage and checked baggage for domestic flights.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: International Flight
When it comes to international travel, there are a few things to consider. While the TSA does not prohibit you from bringing a curling iron on flights departing from the United States, other countries may have different rules. Therefore, it's essential to research the specific rules around traveling with electrical items in international destinations, especially if you plan to fly regionally while abroad.
It's also important to familiarize yourself with the electrical standards and different outlets of your destination country. You may need a universal travel adapter and voltage converter to use your curling iron abroad. (A travel adapter ensures that your plug fits into different plug styles while a voltage converter converts the actual electricity.)
That said, if you're in the market for a new travel curling iron, I highly recommend investing in a dual voltage curling iron that's compatible with both 110-120V and 220-240V electrical grids. This will allow you to easily adjust the voltage of the curler accordingly.
Both my travel hair dryer and my curling iron are now dual voltage, and it has made traveling internationally easier. While I still need a plug adapter, I no longer need a voltage adapter for them.
How do you pack a curling iron for travel?
Packing your curling iron for travel requires a little planning and care to ensure it stays protected and doesn't cause any issues during your journey. Follow these simple steps to pack your curling iron efficiently and safely:
- ALLOW SUFFICIENT COOLING TIME: Before packing your curling iron, make sure it has completely cooled down to prevent any potential burns or damage to other items in your luggage.
- WRAP THE CORD NEATLY: To avoid tangles and keep your luggage organized, neatly wrap the cord of your curling iron. You can also use twist ties or Velcro straps to secure it in place.
- USE A HEAT-RESISTANT POUCH: If your curling iron comes with a heat-resistant pouch or sleeve, use it to store the iron. This protective covering will shield your curling iron and prevent accidental burns to other items in your bag.
- CUSHION IT TO PREVENT DAMAGE: When packing your curling iron in your checked suitcase, position it in the center of your bag surrounded by soft clothing or towels for added cushioning.
- CONSIDER A TRAVEL CASE: If you travel frequently with your curling iron, investing in a travel case designed specifically for styling tools is a great idea. These cases often have compartments to store your curling iron, cord, and other accessories safely.
- CHECK AIRLINE AND TSA GUIDELINES: Before you travel, double-check the specific guidelines of your airline and the TSA regarding the transport of electronic devices. This will help you avoid any surprises during the security screening process.
By following these tips, you can pack your curling iron with ease and ensure it remains in top condition throughout your travels. So, get ready to step out with perfect curls wherever your next trip takes you!
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: Popular Airline Rules
When it comes to traveling with curling irons, it's important to know your airline's specific rules and regulations to ensure a smooth journey. Although not an exhaustive list, the following popular airlines allow passengers to pack curling irons in both checked and carry-on luggage:
- American Airlines
- JetBlue Airways
- Southwest Airlines
- Spirit Airlines
- United Airlines
- WestJet (Canada)
For each of the airlines listed above, TSA rules apply for gas-powered curling irons and those that use lithium batteries. You must pack these items in your carry on.
The following airlines allow curling irons as well, but have slightly different rules:
- Air Canada: one gas curling iron can be packed in either your carry on or your checked baggage as long as it has a safety cover
- Volaris Airlines: curling irons are only allowed in checked baggage
Just remember that rules can change! The best option before flying is to check your airline's official sources to confirm the most up-to-date information. Adhering to their guidelines will help ensure a hassle-free journey and allow you to style your hair with ease wherever your travel adventures take you!
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: Additional FAQs
Traveling with your trusty curling iron doesn't have to be a hassle. Having covered the basics, let's address some additional questions that might arise when it comes to bringing your curling iron on board your next flight.
Can I bring a curling iron with a cord on a plane?
Absolutely! According to TSA guidelines, you can pack a wired curling iron in your hand luggage or checked baggage. A corded curling iron is considered a common personal item and is not prohibited.
Is a curling iron an electronic TSA?
Yes, the TSA views a curling iron as an electronic appliance.
What hairstyling products are allowed in your carry-on?
Generally speaking, you are permitted to pack hair gel, dry shampoo, hairspray, and the like in your carry-on baggage. You just have to make sure that any liquid or gel products comply with the TSA's 3-1-1 Rule.
Can I pack my hairdryer and curling iron in my carry-on?
Yes, it is entirely permissible to pack both a hairdryer and a curling iron in your carry-on baggage while flying. The TSA recognizes these items as personal belongings and allows them onboard the aircraft.
Can you bring a curling wand on a plane?
Yes, you can bring a hair curling wand on a plane. Curling wands are deemed personal items, therefore TSA regulations do not restrict you from packing them in either your carry-on luggage or checked baggage.
Can you bring a curling iron on a plane for free?
Indeed! Because a curling iron is considered a personal item, you can bring it on a plane at no additional cost as long as you stay within the permitted baggage limits.
Where do you put a curling iron on a plane?
When traveling with a curling iron on a plane, you can pack it in your carry-on luggage or place it in your checked bags.
Can you bring a straightener and curling iron on a plane?
Certainly! Both straighteners and curling irons are regarded as personal items and are allowed by the TSA in both carry-on luggage and checked baggage.
However, cordless hair straighteners that use gas or a lithium battery or butane-powered curling irons cannot go in your checked luggage. You must pack these items in your carry on.
Can I use a curling iron on a plane?
Generally speaking, no. Most airlines do not allow use of a curling iron while in flight, but check with your specific airline to confirm.
Can You Bring a Curling Iron on a Plane: The Wrap-Up
As of 2023, the Transportation Security Administration allows you to bring a curling iron on a plane. While certain restrictions exist around butane or gas-fueled styling tools, you're generally free to bring a curling iron on a plane whether you pack it in your carry-on luggage or in your checked baggage.
As long as you follow the rules set by your airline and the TSA, you can jet-set with confidence and keep your hair looking fabulous throughout your journey!
A writer and photographer, Allie Albanese is the founder and curator of Parched Around the World. Here she aims to tell stories about the intersection of food, drinks, cultures, and traditions in places near and far.
Allie holds a Master’s degree in Journalism from American University and for more than a decade has worked as a freelance travel, food, and drinks journalist for various publications across the United States and abroad.